In your old age having surgery can become quite common, but there is no reason to stress out. Planning for minor surgery can make the whole ordeal run smoother and cause less stress for the patient. In addition to following all of the written instructions provided by your dentist or oral surgeon, there are several more steps to consider. Here are five important tips to help create a successful outcome:
1) Avoid taking aspirin or other blood-thinning medications for at least three days before your surgery appointment. If in doubt, call the receptionist and ask for more information at least one week prior to surgery. Any Oral Surgeon like this oral surgeon in San Antonio will want their patients to feel free to ask questions, no matter how insignificant the question may seem.
2) On the day of your surgery, wear loose and comfortable clothing that is okay to have stained, just in case. You may drool on yourself due to local anesthesia. Also, wear short sleeves or sleeves that can easily roll up. Leave jewelry, high-heeled shoes, nail polish and makeup at home, with the exception of lip balm for dry lips. Be prepared to remove your contact lenses and dentures right before surgery, if you have them on.
3) Beforehand, arrange for reliable transportation to take you home after your surgery. Double check with the driver the day before your procedure to make sure they are still onboard. If possible, provide the phone number of your driver to the surgeon’s receptionist, unless the driver will be waiting in the reception area during your surgery. You will not want the hassle of getting a cab at the last minute, and driving yourself home is never an option after surgery, even if you have only had a local anesthetic.
4) If possible, have prescriptions filled prior to surgery so your medications are ready for you immediately afterward. Make sure any postoperative pain relievers or antibiotics do not react negatively with any of your current medications. Pharmacists are great resources for this type of information.
5) Arrange for help at home for your post-op. Will you need childcare or a day or two off from work to recuperate? Employment supervisors appreciate knowing beforehand that you plan to use sick time.
After your minor surgery, if you have also made a few frozen meals ahead of time, you will have nothing to do but lie back and heal when you get home. Moreover, remember to think positive thoughts and imagine yourself healing by absorbing nature’s goodness and love. Experts have found that meditation using positive imagery really does help you heal faster.