Hearing loss is an issue that plagues many older adults.Ã‚Â It can have an impact on just about every aspect of your life.Ã‚Â Good hearing is often taken for granted, but as you get older you may realize that it can start to diminish.Ã‚Â In fact, an average of about a third to half of the population will experience some form of hearing loss when they get older.Ã‚Â Have you noticed that your hearing is not as great as it used to be?Ã‚Â If so, you may want to learn about the different things that can be done to help improve your hearing.
Why Hearing Loss Occurs
Even though hearing loss seems to be a pretty common issue, many people do not understand why it happens.Ã‚Â Here are a few of the causes:
- A family history of hearing loss can be a factor.
- Untreated ear infections may also lead to loss of hearing.
- Long term medications have been known to affect hearing over time.
- Prolonged exposure to loud noises is one of the leading causes of hearing loss.
How to Tell if You Are Experiencing Loss of Hearing
There are a few signs that will accompany loss of hearing.Ã‚Â Unfortunately, when it comes to hearing loss many people do not catch it right away.Ã‚Â Sometimes it even takes someone else to notice it for you.
- You may notice that you do not hear things as clearly as you once did.
- You may also notice that you have a buzzing in your ears.Ã‚Â This is known as tinnitus and can be very frustrating.
- Others may think that you are listening to the television or radio too loudly.
Is it Preventable?
Some forms of hearing loss can be prevented.Ã‚Â Hereditary hearing loss is generally not avoidable, but you can in some cases help keep it from progressing quickly.
- Keep your ears clean and well maintained.
- Have your doctor test your hearing regularly.
- Do not listen to loud music for prolonged periods.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice any changes in the way that you hear things.
Coping with Hearing Loss
As you are dealing with hearing loss, you may find yourself depressed and embarrassed.Ã‚Â These are very natural emotions to feel.Ã‚Â You should know that there are many innovative ways to treat hearing loss:
One of the most common ways to treat hearing loss is through the use of a hearing aid.Ã‚Â There are many different devices to choose from, which makes it easier than ever to find one that will work for you.
- There are analog hearing aids and digital hearing aids.
- Most hearing aids can be adjusted to suit your needs.
- You have options on where to wear your hearing aid.
Visit with an audiologist to help determine your needs.Ã‚Â This is the best way to make sure that you are getting a quality hearing aid that will help to improve your hearing.
Another common way to treat hearing loss is through surgical procedures.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â A cochlear implant is a common procedure that is done to correct hearing loss.Ã‚Â It involves placing a small device behind the ear to help pick up sounds and relay them to the brain.
There is Hope
When it comes to hearing loss, many elderly people feel that it is the end of their life as they knew it.Ã‚Â This day and age with the use of technology, that is simply not the case.Ã‚Â There are many ways to ensure that you can still have an excellent quality of life even if you are suffering from hearing loss.Ã‚Â The best thing that you can do is have high hopes and stay well educated.